Sunday, May 3, 2009

Williamsburg, April 28

On Tuesday I visted Williamsburg. See here I am outside the Williamsburg Public Library sitting on a statue of George Washington. But my day did not begin here. I first attended a conference on homelessness presented by Project Hope. I learned that there are many homeless people in Virginia and about half of them are children. Of the people who are homeless due to disasters or a series of unfortunate events, more than half live with a friend or relative and the remaining live in hotels, camp grounds, cars or abandon buildings. That is the bad news; the good news is there are plans in place to help children who are homeless to stay in school. Each school system has a liaison to help children and teens.

After the conference I headed to Colonial Williamsburg. Williamsburg was the first capital of Virginia. Richmond is now the capital of Virginia.

A nice lady in Colonial dress posed for a picture with me and a cotton plant. During colonial times people would pick the cotton. The cotton was cleaned and spun into thread. The thread was then woven into cloth and the cloth was sewn into dresses, shirts and pants. This was all done by hand.



Gardens were used to grow food as well as to decorate the home. Many flowers were used for medication or teas.



This picture was taken outside of the Geddy house.

1 comment:

  1. Stanley, you got to see the Governor's House..marvelous. You look like you're getting used to that beautiful weather...you'll have to bring back some Virginia peanuts for Leslie!

    ReplyDelete