Sunday, May 3, 2009

Graves Mountain, April 30 - May 1

On Thursday I traveled to Graves Mountain to attend a meeting with most of the public library directors in Virginia. Graves Moutain is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains and not far from Montpelier. Montpelier is President James Madison's home in Orange, Virginia. As you can see from the picture the view from the lodge is wonderful - even on a cloudy day.



On Friday morning Scott and Mary let me read their paper. I read that there were bears in the mountains. Over breakfast two other people told me that they had seen a bear the night before rummaging through the trash.

On my way back to the cabin I saw this. I ran. The bear ran too, and in the same direction I was going. So I ran faster. I reached the cabin we were staying in, but the cabin door was locked. I then locked myself in the mini van. The bear sniffed around the car, but I stayed as flat as I could in the back of the van. The bear looked in the windows, but I was very still. The bear finally left.

A while later, Enid found me still in the mini van with the car keys. Even though the bear was gone, I was too scared to move. So she had to call a locksmith to open the door for me.

The locksmith's name was Buddy. He worked quite fast and in a few minutes I was out of the car and safe again.










Here I am with the keys.

















Before Buddy left I just had to have a picture taken with him. Thanks for getting me out of a jam!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's a riot! What an experience you had today Stanley! OH and Enid you are THEE best! Wow, we love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete